Friday 14 September 2007

Mental Health Day 7th September 2007 (Manchester)


Last Friday I woke up really early (5.30am!!) and took the train to Manchester for Mental Health Day. Mental health is considered to be one of the highest rated concerns for students in the UK. I thought it was very important for me to attend this day to learn more about how to approach the issues around mental health because it is such a varying and sensitive subject for many people. Mental health is involved in the student movement from the academic to social scene, expanding far beyond the scope of the usual identified welfare remit.

This year I will be addressing mental health through my Healthy Living campaign, focusing mainly on Eating Disorders and Stress. I will also be working with Oxfordshire’s Early Intervention Service, a service which helps those with psychosis. For more information on any of these issues please keep an eye on my blogs and website page at www.thesu.com.

If you do have any particular questions or concerns then email me or come see me.

The workshops which I attended were:
  • Students and Suicide Workshop
  • Eating Disorders Workshop
  • Students and Debt Workshop


NUS: “The sheer numbers of students with poor mental health demonstrates the need for student officers to be informed, trained and updated on the issues involved.”

No comments: